HACKETTS Nipper or Come Along from early 1900s or perhaps late 1800s


This is a one-handed restraint known as a "come along" or "nipper", which is a type of device to restrain one arm and maintain control over someone to guide them to where you want them to go, but having the ability to apply pain or break the wrist or forearm if they struggle. It was an alternative to using handcuffs, when people were less likely to be violent and need fully restraining.

This particular one is referred to by Hiatt as a Snap, because it closes with a "snap!" However this does not appear to be made by Hiatt, it has HACKETTS stamped on the top of it. Basically nothing is known about this manufacturer or brand, but this particular Come-along I have was owned by the great grandfather of the seller, who was a policeman in Cheshire, England at the turn of the 20th century (very early 1900s, probably a bit before too, since we are talking about the father of the seller's grandfather being the original owner..)

A nice interesting alternative to handcuffs, that I thought I would share with you.

𝗔 𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 to @CoxysPicks for acquiring this nice and unique addition online, to add to my collection. I am not sure if I will include it on my handcuff collection images, because strictly-speaking it is not in anyway a handcuff, as far as I am aware. But I am 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 happy to have this 😁 .

Enjoy! 🍻

No comments:

Post a Comment