KUB Kubind KB-917 Large Irish 8 Handcuffs A Recreation Of Old UK Design.


These are a rigid handcuff from Kub in Pakistan, based off the classic Irish 8 with Darby locking mechanism. Prior to the invention of the Darby locking mechanism, they used a special nut and key in the Plug 8 model.

Though this has a classic style of Darby locking mechanism, no other Darby key I have will fit. It will bite a very slight bit, that in an emergency if you lost your one key you might be able to pull against the spring and get them open. But only Kub keys will fit this handcuff, based on my experience.

The spring is not too strong, which is nice. There are 2 hinges, because not only does the main part of the shackle need to fold down over the wrists, but then the other hinge is so that the locking tube can swing into position and lock. They snap shut and are locked without having to use the key, like most Darby handcuffs.

Very restrictive! I have a pair in the Large Men size (according to the official box). I have somewhat large hands and take a large or extra large Nitrile glove. My right hand & wrist are larger than my left and in the largest side of the handcuffs (closest to the locking tube), I can spin either of my wrists around in that side, which helps to use the key to get out of them without needing help! But if you have a more snug fit, you might struggle to get out of these handcuffs without having another pair of hands to help out...

I do not have any genuine old Plug 8 or Irish 8, but at least I have modern, good quality representations of these two styles of handcuffs from this Pakistan company Kub aka Kubind. Genuine old ones, such as by Hiatt, tend to be quite expensive.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment