HIATT 115 Scotland Yard Adjustable Darby Handcuffs - A Later Alloy Version?!


These are the Hiatt 115 "Scotland Yard" adjustable darby handcuffs. My existing pair is gimmicked, meaning they pull open. So now I have a non-modified original pair to put in my collection so that I can pull my gimmicked ones out and keep them separate with the rest of my gimmicked cuffs.

I have not done an on-person demo of these because the springs are very strong and hard to operate with one hand.  

They are basically a darby style handcuff which has a ratchet so that they can close smaller and smaller to fit the wrist size of the wearer. It was a great idea, but since the mechanism has to be exposed by the open hole at the bottom, it is possible to stick thin objects in and release the handcuffs without having to use the key. They were not super popular from what I have heard. Standard Darby non-adjustables were preferred for a very long time.

This pair is from perhaps the 1970s or 1980s, as they are not steel. They aren't the grey ones which were more cheaply constructed, but a better version. Non-magnetic essentially (very very slight attraction, maybe from the plating). Almost as heavy as my all-steel ones.

I was hoping to get a pair from the early 1900s to go into my British Police Cuff Lineage box, but these are legit and will serve the purpose of filling a gap in my collection.

I'm glad to have a non-gimmicked pair in my collection!

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment